Followers

Friday 14 March 2014

Literature review 2

I have found this article about classroom culture, which although aimed at school class rooms has a lot of relevance within the dance http://gallery.carnegiefoundation.org/collections/castl_k12/ewojcicki2/outcomes/characteristics_culture.htm
The majority of the article is very positive and are points that I would agree with. For example,
                     The teacher should exhibit passion for the subject or passion for teaching or both. Passion makes the students interested in and excited about the subject. Who wants to learn from a deadbeat?
 This statement, to my mind, is extremely relevant to a dance class environment and  is also one of the theories that I feel relevant to back up my research about practical demonstrations from older teachers with less physical ability.
However, the article also states
                    Students should not be criticized for their interests or their attire. If they want to wear pants that look like they are falling off, respect their right to do so. When they are twenty, they won't want to do it.


I am not sure how many teachers would agree with this statement, even in a school with a uniform code, I am certain that this type of attire is frowned upon. In a dance class, there are many rules relating to attire and I do not think many dance teachers would respect the right of the student to turn up dressed however they like? Of course this does depend on the dance class as a freestyle jazz or street type class may well be more acceptable of this freedom of attire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Staring at a Blank page

 My plan for this week was to work hard on my research proposal and the MORE form. I have a week off from teaching so knew that I had the ti...