Followers

Thursday 4 April 2013

Journal writing experience

Well, I have been writing my journal on and off for the past few weeks. I have had a busy time with the production of the biennial dance show. Needless to say my journal has some stressful entries along with some very brief ones! I have found that I have used some of the suggested ways of writing automatically, such as description and initial reflection. Some days I will have written a description of an event or events and reflected immediately  on how it made me feel or something that happened as a result of that event.
When I started to look at using the other methods of writing I actually found it very difficult to write anything, particularly from another view. This method, to me, was really hard to  use as the journal is personal to you and things that have happened to you, or feelings that you have had, but it was amusing to see my day from another perspective and it did highlight to  me that some of the things that I may have considered important events or feelings would seem inconsequential to someone viewing from the outside.
It became apparent to me that I am most confident using  lists, description, reflection and evaluation. It was actually useful to use evaluation about a week or so after the initial entry as events that seemed important and  extreme at the time were, upon reflection and evaluation, usually quite trivial. I did not find the diagram method useful at all, but it was interesting to try it to see if it worked for me. My mind I think is too random and messy to be able to create a diagram as I was constantly altering it by adding events and feelings and then taking others away.
However, the "What if?" method was probably the most surprising to me in the volume of writing it produced. I used this  method on a particularly stressful day after the show. The problem is that I am very critical of myself and analysed every little part of  days events and then applied the "What if? to it. The problem I found was that "hindsight" becomes the main focus and although there are always things to learn from hindsight you cannot change what has happened, although you can ensure that you learn and use your experiences to improve your performance.
Keeping entries succint and to the point encouraged me to continue with my journal as this would mean a couple of words or feelings would summarise my day, whereas long entries would find me rambling away. I have also discovered that trying to reflect the same day does not work for me as emotion often takes over as well as tiredness and I am much better reflecting and evaluating after a day or so, when other things do not take over your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Staring at a Blank page

 My plan for this week was to work hard on my research proposal and the MORE form. I have a week off from teaching so knew that I had the ti...