Followers

Sunday 28 April 2013

3c - My five most important sources of information

If I had been answering this question about ten years ago, then there is no doubt that the content of my answer would be different to today. The increased accessibility to the internet making it not only accessed via PC or laptop but now on mobile devices has most definitely  impacted my information sources. How many times would I have said ten years ago - "I must go and Google that?".

 I have become increasingly reliant on the Internet as my main source of information. There are many reasons for this. For example, the exam board that I teach for has a teacher area on their website, which is an invaluable source of information to ensure that your teaching and syllabus knowledge is kept up to date. This area of information has developed rapidly over the last four years and has mostly eliminated the need for paper communications being mailed to teachers.
I am also constantly using YouTube as a source of choreography ideas and when attempting to source music. Of course, the information needed to study my BAPP course is also all accessed via the internet. Of course, you do need to ensure that anything that is sourced on the internet is reputable and verifiable. Iona Holland talks in her Blog about being wary of  information on sites like Wikipedia which cannot be confirmed as accurate due to the nature of the amount of access everyone has to the information. So you do have to use your own judgement to make decisions as to how to use information gained from various websites.

My professional network is also a vital source of information. I have a network of other dance teachers, colleagues, old dance friends and choreographers. It is important to feel that you can approach people for help with questions that you may have on a variety of topics. I have also found my network invaluable in arranging events and workshops for my students, as well as sourcing information about on-going vocational education to pass on.

My third important source of information comes from good old printed text, or publications. I always ensure that I have the printed syllabus available for reference whilst teaching a class. Despite the fact that I may have taught the same grade for many years, it is always important to refer to the syllabus to ensure that you do not develop your own interpretation of the set choreography or exercises.
It is interesting to read the Blogs of people who are still performers and the fact that they are very similar in their sources. Georgie Bird mentions in her Blog about using the notice board at Pineapple Dance studios as well as other dance studios to access information about upcoming  auditions. This has not changed in the 30 years since I was performing!

My BAPP colleagues have been an invaluable source of information whilst studying for this degree. I initially started communicating with a network of people who were completing the ROL module with me via Facebook. We created a Facebook group and used it to communicate and support each other whilst studying. We have now tried to migrate this network via our Blogs  and have also added in other people who are completing Module 1 with us.

My last source is that of face to face communication. I quite often find that I am having a conversation with a parent, a friend, a colleague or even a family member and you will find yourself learning something from them. Whether it is a price of direct information that is useful to you, or whether it is a link to another source, it is all valuable and I am always certain to follow up.

2 comments:

  1. Hi kym. Hope your well... How do you find this module has compared to the ROL module? I found that I have relied heavily on the support of my fellow blogs rather than Alan.... Do you think this way of working has influenced your practice? Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kym and Katie,

    I really like your work Kym and I have to agree with Katie that I feel I have also used my fellow blogs to help me through this course so far.

    To get to grips with some of the tasks I find it really inspiring to have a read through other peoples ideas as quite often, most of us being in a similar sort of career, have very similar opinions and ideas.

    On the other hand, I am also finding that it could have the reverse effect as I sometimes start to question myself with...Did I think of that idea? Or was that from somebody else?

    I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you are building on the idea and applying it to your own professional practice.

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete

Staring at a Blank page

 My plan for this week was to work hard on my research proposal and the MORE form. I have a week off from teaching so knew that I had the ti...