Followers

Friday 19 February 2021

Thesaurus!

 I am reading through the module two handbook for the fourth time and this time I have dug out my Thesaurus (at Helen's suggestion) to be able to get a clearer understanding of some of the text.

Sadly, my old Thesaurus, published in 1985 seemed to be lacking some of these words, so I opened an on-line Thesaurus, only to find no options there either. Epistemology is not listed, so literally taking from the text in the handbook, it is the discussion of knowledge, so is it from the root of the word "epistle' meaning communication or message?  No alternatives for "monism" either, but this is easily understandable from its root "mono" meaning singular. There are many words that I have not heard before but I am determined to ensure that I have a broader understanding of them so that I can feel confident in using these words in my writing or even in my verbal communication, knowing that I am using them in the correct context!

Yes, it's out of my comfort zone, but I am trying not to be defeatist any more and want to make the most of my learning whilst undertaking this MA.



2 comments:

  1. Hello Kym,
    There are lots of words I don't understand but it was suggested to me that I keep a glossary of the words with my interpretations of their meaning. It helps especially when the same words keep cropping up.
    I normally google the words that I don't understand so I have some idea of their context. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacob, yes that is pretty much what i Have done, I have a word document open where I keep a list of the owrds, but things like "ethnomonology" even if you Google it, it says there are no great matches to your search.I tend to read the sentence out loud again wiht y translation of the word to see if it is more sense to me!

    ReplyDelete

Staring at a Blank page

 My plan for this week was to work hard on my research proposal and the MORE form. I have a week off from teaching so knew that I had the ti...