Followers

Friday 5 February 2021

New Term, New Year, New Module, New Lockdown!

 So here we are in 2021, ready to start the new Module and eager to get going. Whilst in lockdown again, it is an absolute godsend to have something to focus on and to challenge the mind.

I have read my feedback from Module one and I am hoping that I have done enough to pass. I know that I do try to find "easier" routes if I think something is too hard to grasp particularly as I sometimes find scholarly writing difficult to understand and I know that I am not a very philosophical thinker so this is out of my comfort zone at times.

Having read through the Module two handbook for the second time, I am really interested in how to develop my theoretical framework. Reading the comparison between positivist and non-positivist starting points of research, I would instantly say that I would start from a positivist viewpoint. `I have always understood Quantitive research methods as it is concrete and based on data and cannot be changed. However, when reading the analogy about teaching a pirouette for example, it is clear in my mind that as a dance teacher I would use a non-positivist approach, however, it would depend on what I was teaching  as there are instances when things are concrete -i.e. fifth position is fifth position ( although I accept that some students may need several explanations to achieve it!)

Has anyone decided on a body of work to study? If so, are they of the Contemporary or Classical genre? for example, could we look at Fosse or Gillian Lynn or a choreographer of Musical Theatre?  Does it need to be a dancer who has written texts or articles about their work? I am guessing that the suggested names are easier to study - although I find Contemporary at times a more philosophical dance genre as, at times, it is open to interpretation by the audience and people will see or feel different things.

Anyway, here's to the Spring and the rest of 2021 moving onwards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Staring at a Blank page

 My plan for this week was to work hard on my research proposal and the MORE form. I have a week off from teaching so knew that I had the ti...